Monday, January 16, 2006

Doing Good

Today, on the observance of Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday, I found myself thinking about what can I do to help my community. Living in the Washington, D.C. area you read/hear so much negative news about our failing school systems, the cycles of violence and/or poverty that kids here are subjected to and the repercussions from them both. The thing that always ticks me is you hear these sad stories, yet no one ever gives info on how to help or make a difference. I think people really want to help, but just don't know where to start. All it takes is one person to effect change.

I'm not just an aspiring kids book writer-illustrator, I actually am a published author in the adult market. I know I can make a difference using this talent for good. I know that when I was a kid growing up in the hood, keeping a diary and writing stories was a source of venting, of creating another world, of keeping my thoughts in line. Perhaps I can help to do the same for others? I don't even know where to start myself, but I know I have to at least begin. I've been toying with the idea of starting a creative writing class or club at my local elementary and high school. Kids and teens need to get their feelings out somehow. What better way than through words?

No comments: