Monday, February 13, 2006

Working Hard or Hardly Working?

I've been working on a middle grade fantasy--a departure for me, but oh-so-much fun to write!! It's so crazy and funny and well, crazy, that I really enjoy writing it. I have been pretty good lately about parking myself in front of the computer and tikking away. That's the hard part. Focusing and getting it done. Forget all the imagined glory and recognition for after it is completed. The reality is that everyone would like to be a writer, but darn it, sitting down and doing it is hard work no matter the genre or age group.

I've run into a lot of people who think that writing for kids is either a.) easy or b.) somehow less worthy than writing for adults. Some are surprised when I tell them that I write for kids too and I am working really hard at being good at it--because a.) it's not easy and b.) it's just as important as writing for the adult market. Every day that I write for kids is just as important as any words I write for adults, and in some ways more so. Here's a chance to spark imaginations, inspire, educate, innovate--maybe even shape a life.

How could that not be important? How could it be "less than"?

No comments: