Monday, March 27, 2006

Of Nerd-Girls & Nibelungs

Right now, the SciFi Channel's showing a miniseries version of the Ring of the Nibelungs. I'm really enjoying it, LOL.

Years ago, when they showed the first inkling of a preview for the Lord of the Rings (which was very influenced by this), I was sitting with my best friend and very nerd-girl-like said "YES!!!" (while pumping a fist) at the movie theater. Um, mind you, this was before everybody knew what the heck it was and I was in a largely African-American audience when I did this. Let's just say I had a lot of folks looking at me like I lost my dang mind.

Growing up, I read a lot and always felt weird reading all the things I did. I loved history, myths and legends, heroes and warriors, faeries and dragons, epic journeys, and travels to exotic or alien lands. It was an escape for me from the realities right outside my window and growing up where I did in D.C., it just wasn't cool. I might as well have had "Supergeek" stamped on my forehead, but it was me. That's the only person I could be, right? I was lucky that I had a friend who was into it too and if you're somehow somewhere reading this, I just want to tell you that I had so much fun with you. Thanks for being a nerd-girl with me.

1 comment:

Courtney Pippin-Mathur said...

Not your nerd friend, but I hear ya, girl. I did the same thing in the movie theatre. My husband nearly died of embarrassment.